1.It is used as solvent for producing methyl-ethyl ketone peroxide, flurocontaining anticorrosive coatings.
2.It is used as plasticizer of cellulose acetate, mosquito repellent and solvent of polyfluoroethylene coating.
3.It is the intermediate of rodenticide diphacin, Tetramine and chlorratone.
Dimethyl phthalate is colorless transparent oily liquid, slightly aromatic. It is miscible with ethanol, ether, soluble in benzene, acetone and other organic solvents, insoluble in water and mineral oil.
1. Store in a cool, dry warehouse, away from fire, sun and rain. Avoid violent impact during transportation.
2. Plasticizer with strong dissolving ability. Used as a plasticizer for nitrile rubber, vinyl resin, cellulose acetate film, cellophane, varnish and molding powder, etc. It can also be used as a solvent for the preparation of methyl ethyl ketone peroxide. It has excellent film-forming properties, adhesion and water resistance, and high thermal stability, but it is easy to crystallize at low temperature and has high volatility. Therefore, it is often used in combination with plasticizers such as diethyl phthalate for rubber plasticization. It can improve the plasticity of the rubber compound when it is used as an agent, especially suitable for nitrile rubber and neoprene rubber. It can also be used as an anti-mosquito oil and repellent. It has a repellent effect on blood-sucking insects such as mosquitoes, sandflies, culms and gnats. The effective repelling time is 2 to 4 hours.
1. It is insoluble in water at room temperature, soluble in most organic solvents and hydrocarbons, and has good compatibility with most industrial resins. Dimethyl phthalate is combustible. When it catches fire, use water, foam extinguishing agent, carbon dioxide, powder extinguishing agent to extinguish the fire.
2. Chemical properties: It is stable to air and heat, and does not decompose when heated for 50 hours near the boiling point. When the vapor of dimethyl phthalate is passed through a 450°C heating furnace at a rate of 0.4g/min, only a small amount of decomposition occurs. The product is 4.6% water, 28.2% phthalic anhydride, and 51% neutral substances. The rest is formaldehyde. Under the same conditions, 36% at 608°C, 97% at 805°C, and 100% at 1000°C have pyrolysis.
3. When dimethyl phthalate is hydrolyzed in a methanol solution of caustic potassium at 30°C, 22.4% in 1 hour, 35.9% in 4 hours, and 43.8% in 8 hours are hydrolyzed.
4. Dimethyl phthalate reacts with methylmagnesium bromide in benzene, and when heated at room temperature or on a water bath, 1,2-bis(α-hydroxyisopropyl)benzene is formed. It reacts with phenyl magnesium bromide to generate 10,10-diphenylanthrone.